With every adventure, lessons are learned. I hope that each day and each experience teaches you more about yourself and helps you grow into yourself. While exploring around Seoul, the capital and largest metropolis of South Korea, I wandered, I ate, and I learned a lot. Here are a few takeaways from my trip....and some cool pictures.
1. Intention vs. Expectation
I use to be a control freak, and everything I did was because I expected the same type of energy and action in return. All of that changed when I started traveling more. There is a difference between intention and expectation. Intention is about taking meaningful steps towards your goals but not forcing expectation. When we move only to expect specific things out of what we are doing, we get let down or we don't get as much out of the entire experience.
Have a set goal of what you want, yes. Then, let go and enjoy the ride. The best adventures and stories are unplanned.
2. Be unbowed.
Baby, you are worth so much. Understand that you should never allow anyone or anything to deter you from what you want. Never lower your head in defeat. Never submit to doubt of failure. Never fall to the pressures of settling. Keep your eyes set on the prize, and you will get to it.
3. We all have layers
The beauty of layers is that when each one unfolds, you see a new picture-a new side- that you hadn't seen before. Some only deserve to see one or two of your layers unveiled. So, be cautious of who you unravel your naked soul...Are they worth it?
4. It's okay to let people help you
Just because you can do everything on your own, doesn't mean that you can't let people help you. Who said you were weak if you let people help you? If anything, you become stronger and more efficient when you have people on your team.
5. Dope women travel
While on this trip, I met some pretty awesome women who, also, travel solo. Speaking and making connections with these dope women, I realized that no fear holds them back from doing what they want to do. Never let the thought of being alone or the fear of being by yourself keep you from doing what you want to do. Honestly, when you are alone, you are able to refocus on what makes you happy and what you want. Get to know yourself and never move in fear.
Travel Tips for Seoul:
1. Go to the Gyeongbokgung Palace and Jogyesa Temple. The details are intricate and incredible.
2. Eat all the street food at one of the markets! Namdaemun Market was where I went! (And get you some Korean fried chicken & beer)
3. Enjoy the views at Lotte World Tower. The elevator ride up to the 120th floor takes less than 1 minute, and the view is breathtaking.
4. If you enjoy nature like I do, take a stroll along the river, or if you’re really down go on one of Seoul’s beautiful hikes through the mountains. Your body will definitely feel it for the next couple days!
5. Shop and party. People in Korea love to shop and party hard. You know what they say, "When in Rome..."
6. Google Maps will not get you around this city. For some reason, it only allows you to use the public transportation option. I used apps such as Maps.Me and Subway-Korea to get around. Also, a good old fashioned map aided in my adventures, as well.
Overall, Seoul is definitely a livable city. I was very comfortable and could get around easily using public transportation (walking, the subway, taxi, bus). Although I don't know a lick of Korean, the people were very accommodating, and in most areas, you could get around using English and internet resources.
I made new friends, connected, and explored new things. Constantly and continuously grateful, I will never forget Seoul. And will continue to dive deeper with every adventure life has to offer me.
What had been your most memorable adventure and why? I'd love to hear about it!